Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Beefy Tomato Pasta Soup

Hello one & all...spent the most wonderful Autumn weekend. Saturday I joined my sister and niece for a day at the Buffalo Zoo. We hadn't been in a year and I was amazed at the changes and additions. I spent many a childhood day running around that kiddie hot spot...it always brings back the fondest memories for me. Sunday brought a day of Autumn splendor at the Genesee County Park. Joined by my sister-in-law and her family, we lazed the day away in the surprisingly strong fall sun while the kiddos rode their bicycles and worked hard at conquering the heights of the playground. We had such a great time that I took the children back again yesterday, with bikes on board, for yet another afternoon. It is absolutely beautiful there this time of year and very quiet.

My sister-in-law brought a crock pot of soup on Sunday that warmed us both body and soul and sent me in search of soup recipes both old and new. Came upon this one that I will share and thought it was to be a winner for sure...so glad I was right as the brood was super hungry after yet another day in the fresh air.

Beefy Tomato Pasta Soup

1# ground beef (or venison)
2 medium green peppers, chunked
1 medium onion, chunked
2 cloves garlic, minced
5-6 cups water
2 cans (14 oz.) Italian chunked tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 TBSP brown sugar
2-3 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups uncooked spiral pasta

In a dutch oven or soup kettle, cook meat, green pepper and onion till no longer pink. Drain. Add the rest. Bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook for slightly longer than recommended time, stirring occasionally. Pasta should be tender but not mushy. Top with Parmesan cheese and croutons if desired. ***This is a wonderful, hearty soup that I served with bread and butter and a side salad.

***Made this with ground beef (my venison is running low!) and home canned herbed tomatoes. If using home canned I recommend that you go a little heavier on the salt. Also, feel free to use regular diced tomatoes and simply up the Italian seasoning.

Make and enjoy! Blessings, Eve

No comments: