Friday, February 12, 2010

Sloppy Garden Joes

Hello one & all...made a couple of new recipes last night and they were both well received. Trying to watch my calories more so these are both low-fat and quite healthy. Lots of veggies and lean meat. Here's is the one for the "Joe's." I will post the potato recipe in the next day or so as I just heard my kiddos rising WAY too early!!

Sloppy Garden Joe's

1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 15 ox. can diced tomatoes
1 4 oz. can mushrooms
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pepper to taste
whole wheat bread or buns

Saute' onions, carrot and peppers along with the turkey for 5-10 minutes over medium heat. When meat is no longer pink add tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, barbecue sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or so till thickened. Serve on plain or toasted wheat bread. Serves 8

***This recipe truly is enough for the average eating family. I doubled it and some of us will be eating it again for dinner tonight. I used 1/2 turkey and 1/2 venison and I think that the mix of two meats held more flavor than straight turkey would have offered. Try very lean beef and turkey if venison is not on your menu. Toss in any veggies you like. I have a little bit of corn leftover and added that. Served it over home baked wheat bread. Very good and very healthy!

Make & Enjoy! Blessings, Eve

No comments: