Monday, September 20, 2010

Canned Apple Pie Filling

Hello one & all...been canning up a storm and this little goodie is on the schedule for this week so I thought that I would share! This recipe is wonderful for pies, crisp and other recipes. I make a pork, stuffing apple casserole that is all the better for a jar of these apples from the basement. My hubby likes it with smoked polish sausage as a breakfast side through the fall and winter. (Plus the added benefit of no corn syrup like the store canned version...another one of my "things!")

Canned Apple Pie Filling

4 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
10 cups water
3 TBSP lemon juice
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Cook first 5 ingredients until thick and bubbly. Place cold apples in clean, hot jars.

Pour hot syrup over apples, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Seal and process 20 minutes in a hot water canner. This syrup makes enough for about 9 quarts of apples.

Make and Enjoy! Blessings, Eve

No comments: