Monday, September 27, 2010

Cream of Tomato Soup with Basil

Hello one & all...been canning up a storm with my "barely noticeable" free time and have a nicely stocked pantry in the basement. Will share the totals at the end of the season. (For my own personal satisfaction, if nothing else!) But for now I am still finishing up and have found myself with a few handfuls of tomatoes straggling in every few days. Not enough to can and I have 5 or so bags put up in the already full freezer. So hubby suggested this soup that I made a few years back and it brought to mind how much we enjoyed it. I will be slipping it into the menu this seek and thought I would share.

Cream of Tomato Soup with Basil

2 cups of cut-up fresh tomatoes, seeded and skinned
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 chopped onion
2 tsp brown sugar

Simmer, covered about 15 minutes. Cool till a manageable temp. and puree in a blender. Simmer again till needed.

Prepare 4 cups white sauce:
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp basil, dried or 1 T fresh
1 tsp salt
4 cups milk (dried, reconstituted works fine my notes say...apparently I was short of milk at some point when I made this!)

Gradually add the puree into the white sauce, stirring constantly. Garnish with sour cream if desired.

Make and enjoy! Blessings, Eve

No comments: