Thursday, October 15, 2009

Some of My Favorite Words...

Hello one & all...been spending time getting ready for winter. The storms are all down, extra blankets pulled out, winter clothing and jammies tucked in their appropriate places. Putting up the fall/Halloween decorations this weekend. I try to wait for all the children to be home as they enjoy it almost as much as I do! The air is brisk, the leaves are falling, most of the "summer birds" have gone, the garden is finished producing (pulled the last of the carrots yesterday)...it's time for the ol' crock pot! Made this hearty soup for dinner night before last with some grilled cheese sandwiches. My husband took one bite, looked at me across the table and said the sweetest words..."Honey, this is delicious!!!" I melted like that cheese sandwich...

Beef Barley Soup **taken from Fix it and Forget it; Recipes for Entertaining

1 lb. ground beef, browned
5 cups water
1 qt. canned tomatoes (whole, crushed, whatever = 2 cans)
3 cups sliced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup diced onions
3/4 cup quick cooking barley
3 tsp powdered beef bouillon granules or 3 beef bouillon cubes
2-3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients in large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.
***I used pearl barley that I precooked and added about 1/2 way through the cooking time.

Make and enjoy! Blessings, Eve

2 comments: