Friday, October 9, 2009

Thinkin' It Through

Hello one & all...did the awful task of grocery shopping yesterday. Planned my menu (Yes, you do have to plan your menu!!!!) and off I went with toddler and mother in tow. Two stores...Aldi's and Tops. I plotted, I planned, I made a list...still came home with upwards to $65 worth of groceries. Now, granted, I did plan for 8 meals instead of the usual 6 (There is always a leftover or fried rice/ stir fry night to use up leftover meat and such) and I did pick up a few things for Halloween. But still...$65???? My freezer's are stocked full of veggies, berries, homemade broths, soups, cooked beans, bread, ground beef, whole chickens and a few packs of venison that I need to use up from last years big hunts. (10 weeks to be exact...bow hunting has been added to the "bill" this year...) The canning shelves are full to bursting with jams, soups, relishes, peaches, pickled peppers, and more. The chickens provide eggs. What could I have possibly needed that cost $65???
Then I began to think about the meals that I had planned. We all get bored eating the same old same old. So we try to mix it up. These changes are not only tasty but good for our bodies too as we need a vast array of nutrients that we are not going to get if we repeatedly eat the same foods. The culprits on my grocery list were: Chili and bologna sandwiches. (Breakdown: 1# burger $2.00, (didn't want to use my Black Angus for chili!) jarred spaghetti sauce $1.00, canned beans $1.20, (didn't have dried prepped and frozen) and chili seasoning mix. $0.33 (never bought this before and it was wonderful...well worth the moola), bologna $2.50, soft rye bread $2.00 plus garnishes. $9.50!!!!!! for Chili and sandwich...Pork and Sauerkraut with mashed potatoes and corn. (Pork Roast $6.65, sauerkraut $1.00, potatoes $1.70. $8.45!!!)

Of course, it;s fine to have a "nice" meal every now and then, I just planned them all for one week! Live and learn...included a new frugal recipe for you...a wonderful macaroni and cheese recipe that the whole family will love. Don't let the onion put you off...even the most finicky of my nieces enjoy this recipe.

Macaroni and Cheese
1 1/2 cups dry, small macaroni
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cups milk
8 oz Velveeta (or cheese of choice..a blend of mozzarella and cheddar works well)

Cook macaroni to directions; drain and set aside. Cook onions in butter, with salt and pepper, over medium heat till tender. Stir in the flour, stirring constantly until smooth. add milk and stir continuously; when boiling, cook over low heat, still stirring for one minute. Remove from heat and stir till cheese is melted. Toss with pasta ans pour into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Cook in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 or so minutes or till slightly browned. ***I top with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese prior to baking. A double batch in a 9x13 pan feeds my clan with some leftover.

Make and enjoy! Blessings, Eve

No comments: