Monday, December 28, 2009

Ham and Vegetable Pot

Hello one & all...hope everyone had a truly wonderful Christmas! It was soooo busy around here but it was also magical for my children and lovey warm for us all...both parties were stress free and, hopefully, equally enjoyed by our guests. I was very much prepared for these events and it allowed me to sit back and bask in the glow of family and friends.  (The 3 weeks before were certainly filled with hustle and bustle...good trade off, I think!) A few days of slow living and now on to New Years Eve and both my girls birthday parties.  Yup...one on the 7th, one on the 11th.  (Something about the month of April around here...Spring Fever, perhaps???) A small gathering for the soon-to-be 2 yo with her cousins (a monkey party complete with make your own banana splits...yum!) and a smallish slumber for the soon-to-be 12 yo. Typical make your own small pizza, nails and toes and all 3 High School Musical DVD's.  I'm there!!!

If you had ham for Christmas I have an easy recipe for you...Ham and Vegetable Pot. It is in the vein of a boiled dinner and goes nicely with bread and butter. My MIL gave me the bone to use as they are headed to Florida for the winter..thanks so much. The children love this meal!

Ham and Vegetable Pot

1 ham bone
6-8 cups water
4 potatoes, diced
1 pound frozen green beans or corn (I use 1/2 and 1/2)
salt and pepper to taste


Bring the water to a boil. Add salt, pepper and ham bone. Reduce to a simmer and cook for several hours; till the ham falls off the bone. If necessary, add water during cooking. Remove the bone,; cut meat into smallish pieces and return meat to the pot. Add vegetables during the last 1/2 hour of cooking time. Scoop out meat and vegetables to serve. ***I use double the veggies and water to serve my brood. One ham bone is still fine...

Make and Enjoy! Blessings, Eve

No comments: