Friday, December 11, 2009

Milk Jugs

Hello one & all...been completely absorbed in preparing for the upcoming holidays.  Have two parties scheduled for my son...one for cousins and one for 15 1st grade boys.  I know, I know - crazy but I keep doing it year after year anyway! Thought I would talk about something totally off topic of parties and Christmas because my brain needs a break from such things...

Closed our chickens in for the winter, They are toasty warm in their beautiful coop that the hubby built. 10 hens and "Doodle" our quickly maturing, very happy rooster. Needed a bowl for them that we could atttach to the wall and that would survivie the trials of 11 chicken beaks on a daily basis. So, I clipped away a large hole in the front of a gallon milk jug and my hubby attached it to the coop wall with a nail or two.  They love it...perfect height and they cannot kick it around or "soil it" as it is up.  Got me thinking about the many times over the years I have modified a milk jug for this project or that...

-chicken feeder (or other small animal!)
-pony/hairband/brush holder for the bathroom.  Left the handle intact and cut the top off.  Cut to fit in our cabinet.
-drawer organizers...cut to the right height and use to seperate socks/panties/tights...cover rough edges with duct tape if using for "snaggable" items.
-toss game for balls or beanbags...cut to make a scoop with handle still attached. My kids love when I make up a set of these. 
-scoops for dogfood/ birdseed/rocksalt/etc... leave handle intact.
-canning funnel.  Cut and use the spout area for "funnely" tasks. Used these for years till I found a "real" one for a quarter at a swap meet. Aslo fun for the bathtub!
-I have cut small sections for twirly windsocks, robot parts, and reinforcement for various craft projects.

Any other ideas? Please leave a comment and share! Blessings, Eve

No comments: