Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Back on Track

Hello one & all...despite two of my children having now been down with the stomach bug,  I somehow managed to make my menus for the next two weeks. I am asked to share my menus quite a bit and hope to be better about not only getting back on track and creating them, but also in posting them. Making your menus in advance does save you money...and a lot of stress. I love looking at my menu after dinner and knowing what I am cooking the next day. I know that I have all of the ingredients and I know what meat needs to be thawed. (No more hurried, defrosted rubber meat for dinner!) I plan my menu while looking at the main calender. Quick clean-up meals for Girl Scout night, easy prep or crockpot meals for days with appointments. No need to order a pizza and no need to stress.  Give it a try.  Even just one planned week and see if it doesn't improve your life...

Week 1-
M- Shredded BBQ chicken (loftover, frozen) on hard polls (leftover from burgers the night before), fried potatoes and onions, carrots (from my fabulous barter talked about here.)
T- Broiled Tilapia (from Walmart trip several days ago), garlic butter fettucine, peas and carrots, acorn aquash
W- Egg & veggie scramble, pancakes, homecanned applesauce
T- Hearty Navy Bean Soup, homemade bread, banana cake with peanut butter frosting
F- Spaghetti & meatballs, homemade bread and banana splits (for my youngests birthday party)
S - Black bean and brown rice wraps with canned diced tomatoes, shredded cheese and taco sauce.
S - Chuckwagon Chili (recipe here.), green beans and apple slices
M - Tator Tot casserole (recipe), mixed vegetables and Hot Fudge Cake (recipe) to honor my oldest's birthday!
T - Chicken Tortilla Bake, corn
W - Chili-mac skillet, carrots
T - Smothered venison steak strips over brown rice, cornbread muffins
F - Venison Mustard Steaks, mashed potatoes, corn

My oldest chose for me to make Baked Oatmeal for her birthday breakfast. It is wonderful to make the night before and simply reheat by the bowlful in the morning. Top with butter, brown sugar and milk....Yum!

Baked Oatmeal

1 cup oil (1/2 and 1/2 applesauce is fine!)
1 1/2 cups sugar (I use about 1 cup)
4 eggs
6 cups oats (I always use old fashioned..I am sure quick oats would work as well)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups milk

Combine all ingredients in order listed. Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Can refrigerate overnight before baking. throw some raisins or diced apples for a nice touch!

Make & Enjoy! Blessings, Eve

No comments: