Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dehydration

Hello one & all...trying something new today and I though that I would share. My freezers are full (yep, I said FREEZERS!) and deer season is quickly coming upon us. Trying to clear out inventory so I have put a "freeze" (no pun intended!) on purchasing meat or veggies until I can see the bottom of the chest freezer. That's kind of hard to do when I have 14 chickens left from our great chicken experiment...rather than freeze the last of my peppers I decided to try dehydrating them and sealing them in canning jars in the pantry for storage. Trying green peppers, sliced cherry tomatoes and parsley. The only thing that I have tried drying in the past was herbs, apples and bananas in small batches for quick consumption. All turned out well and I am excited to see how this little project turns out. Dehydration has been a trusted form of preservation for centuries...there's just something about taking a food item and closing it in a glass jar for long-term storage...no freezing, no pickling, no canning...makes me a little nervous for some reason. If you have had success drying food items, please share with us...I so want to feel a bit better about the whole storage process! Blessings, Eve

1 comment:

pelenaka said...

As I write this I have about 2 pounds of sliced carrots in my electric dehydrator. Haven't been able to use the solar dehydrator yet this year due to the weather. While I could use the carrot slices for soups these will actually become bunny treats for use later this Winter.
For human consumptsion I dehydrate peppers, onions, grapes, really anything that I know we will eat.
I like you need to clear out freezer space in time for hunting season.