Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Easy Potpie

Hello one & all...I sometimes think that there is a negative stigma attached to home cooking. Seems that a lot of people think you need to spend tons of time and have tons of ingredients on hand to have a nice, inexpensive meal. Not true...just the opposite in fact. Homey food can be fast and very easy to prepare. I have shared a recipe today (well, two really!) that show just how easy it can be to save money by cooking simple meals at home. My BIL sent a similar version of this recipe and reminded me how much my family enjoyed Easy Potpie when I used to make it. There are so many recipes that use baking mix either as a topping or an ingredient. I have included the Potpie recipe as well as an easy to prepare baking mix recipe to frugalize (Is that a word?) the use of baking mix...this also has the bonus benefit of being able to pronounce all of the ingredients!

Chicken Potpie

1-2 cups frozen veggies, thawed (mixed is very good, peas, corn, whatever you have on hand!)
1- 1 1/2 cup cooked, diced chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 tsp. thyme (I use Italian seasoning, or thyme & oregano)
1 cup baking mix
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

In a bowl, combine veggies, chicken and soup. Pour into an ungreased 9" pie plate. Combine biscuit mix, milk, and egg. Pour over chicken mixture and bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. (Until golden brown.) Serves 4-6 ***I double this for my family of 5 and use a 9x13 pan.

Baking Mix

9 cups flour
2/3 cups dry milk
3 TBSP baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening

Mix flour and other dry ingredients. Cut in shortening. Use a mixer set on low to save time. Store in an airtight container up to 6 months. This recipe uses a 5 pound sack of flour when doubled.

Make and enjoy!...Blessings, Eve

No comments: